Walk30 page views

Friday 23 December 2011

Day 23 Walk30 Cold weather advice... brrrrr!

My friend Elaine is doing a photo journal walk30 for Christmas 
... this inspired me to take my camera shopping!

Day 23 
We finally had a dusting of snow, some ice and it was cold today!   I can't believe what a difference a day makes.   We were busy keeping up with wrapping and shopping in the morning and with just a few more gifts to finish off the list I decided to walk to the mall at about 3 p.m..    I set off thinking about the nice warm walk I had yesterday but I wasn't really ready for the cold wind blowing in my face.  The sun was out but the temperature was below zero and with the wind it was definitely uncomfortable.
It takes a few really chilly days to get used to the colder weather.  I made sure that I had on a good warm hat but I wore my thin gloves and regretted it after a short while on the road. Having thick gloves or heavy mitts is what is needed on days like today.  When the wind is blowing it seems a great deal colder so it is also important to wear something that will cover your face when the wind is against you.  Wearing a shell that will break the wind is helpful too.
If it is possible you should start your walk into the wind and try to work it so that you have the wind at your back when you are heading home.
Make sure that you are wearing lots of layers because once you warm up you can always shed a layer while you are moving along then when you slow down you will need to add those layers back especially if you have built up a sweat.
When the temperature dips down it is more difficult to know exactly what is needed to stay warm but not to be over dressed. I usually just walk outside and if I am warm on my doorstep then it is possible that I am over dressed for an energetic walk. 
Once we get used to the weather ... it usually changes ... that is the walk30 life for you!
Cheers to all and if you feel like a walk please join us tomorrow at either 8 a.m. for a 14 K or at 9 a.m. for 6K ... meeting at the Waterloo Public Square.
Walk On Strong!
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment