Walk30 page views

Friday 28 September 2012

Day 28 Walking 30 minutes a day can be slimming

All you need is a good pair of shoes!


Day 28 Walking 30 minutes a day can be slimming

There are a lot of health reasons that should motivate you out the door for your walk30.  I don't like to make a big deal about the fact that walking just 30 minutes a day does have a positive effect on your weight.  I believe that we focus on and worry about our weight way too much ... I know I do and I work at trying accepting myself the way I am.  At the same time it doesn't hurt to find even more motivation to do your daily walk when there are benefits that really hit home.  The least your daily walk will do is help you to maintain your weight but even if walking keeps you from gaining there is also the fact that you are creating more muscle in you body and muscle helps to boost our metabolism ... I would call that  a win /win!
Research tells us that walking a little everyday matters a lot. A study from Duke University found that walking for 30 minutes a day can prevent weight gain in most people who are physically inactive. And researchers from Brown University and the University of Pittsburgh showed that women who walked for an hour five days a week and consumed 1,500 calories a day lost and kept off 25 pounds over the course of a year. 

A walking habit is much easier to establish than visiting the gym and the investment is minimal ... all you need is that pair of shoes.

The shoes above are called Minimus Trail shoes and they are made by New Balance in conjunction with Vibram. I have been wearing them all summer and I love them.  They are a variety of barefoot shoe and not for everyone but they are extremely flexible and work well for power walking technique.  I will have to do a blog about them soon but until then I plan to keep on walking out the door for my 30 minutes every day.  I hope you decide to take the October walk30 challenge with me!
Walk On Strong!
Sue

2 comments:

  1. I have been wearing Vibram five fingers for a couple of years and I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe just how well I have adapted to these shoes ... I thought that I needed a lot more support but I feel as though my feet are really benefiting from using them ... building the support muscle.

    ReplyDelete