Walk30 page views

Friday 27 April 2012

Day 27 Walking keeps us healthy

 Day 27  Walking keeps us healthy!

This morning I woke up with a scratchy throat and it really threw me for loop ...  I haven't had a sniff or a cough since I started walking30 almost 6 months ago. So I was off to the internet to find some facts about colds and walking and I found this article at The Telegraph Newspaper in the UK ... hope you enjoy it!

Walking keeps colds at bay but marathons can cause the flu say scientists

Too much exercise damages the immune system and makes people more prone to colds and flu, a study has found.

Walking keeps colds at bay but marathons can cause the flu say scientists 
Photo: EPA/ANDY RAIN
 
On the other hand, a regular brisk walk can keep winter colds and flu at bay.
Moderate exercise strengthens the body's defences against nose and throat infections such as the common cold, flu and sinusitis, according to expert Professor Mike Gleeson.
But too much exercise might be as bad as too little for the immune system.
Different levels of exercise significantly increase or decrease the chances of catching an upper-respiratory tract infection (URTI), said Prof Gleeson, from the University of Loughborough.
Physical activity helps determine individual susceptibility to infection along with other factors such as genetics, stress, nutrition and sleep, he told the Association for Science Education conference at the University of Liverpool.
In the meantime ... I did my walk30 today (a little slower) ... and enjoyed it.  I am drinking lots of water and getting my vitamin C and I will let you know if I have a quick recovery ... I hope so.
Walk On Strong,
Sue 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! My experience is similar to yours, over the last two years of consistent walking, I've had a huge decrease of colds, flu, etc... I know I am not immune to these, but I use to get hit with these 2-3 times a year. That is no longer happening though - my unscientific conclusion - it's the walking.

    Hope your scratchy throat passes quick!

    ReplyDelete